A Wayne Reittie double wasn’t enough to claim the points as Toulouse Olympique claimed a 28-20 victory over Batley at The Fox’s Biscuits Stadium.

On the back of the defeat against Dewsbury at last weekend’s Summer Bash, Batley welcomed in-form French side Toulouse who were sitting 2nd in the Kingstone Press Championship table.

Early opportunities were hard to come by with both sides proving resolute with Smeaton denied on the ten minute mark by crucial Toulouse defending.

Then, against the run of play, Toulouse broke clear for the first time and Stanislas Robin was able to score the opening try of the game in the away side’s first dangerous attack. Khierallah added the conversion to make it 0-6.

Batley continued to apply pressure and were soon rewarded after a perfectly weighted kick by Brambani set free Wayne Reittie to finish superbly. Brambani brought the game level with the conversion.

On the half hour mark, Toulouse were penalised for a dangerous tackle on prop forward Alex Rowe. Brambani stepped up and took the two points on offer to give Batley a deserved lead.

Soon after, Toulouse were penalised for offside and Brambani had another opportunity from a similar position to add to Batley’s tally. Brambani, this time, hit the post.

On the brink of half time, Batley finished off a fine opening fourty minutes in style after Wayne Reittie crashed over in the corner for his second of the game. On the hooter, Brambani, from the touchline, added a perfect conversion to give the Bulldogs a stronghold in the game.

HALF TIME: Batley Bulldogs 14-6 Toulouse Olympique.

Batley started the second half the stronger but it was Toulouse who were first over the line. A quick break allowed Marcon to score out wide. Khierallah missed the opportunity to add the extras.

From kick off, Toulouse scored again after a break from half way. This time, Marion finished off a fine move by the visitors to bring the game level. Toulouse took the lead after Robin added the conversion.

Batley’s pressure continued and were nearly over through James Brown soon after but his knock on ensured that Toulouse would survive the mounting pressure once more.

On the hour mark, Batley made the extensive pressure pay as Shaun Ainscough crashed over from close range to put the Bulldogs back ahead. Brambani added the extra two points to give Batley a four point lead.

Then, Toulouse stretched clear after Batley failed to deal with a kick and Constantine Mika finished off a scrappy move. Robin added the conversion to put the away side ahead once more.

More Batley pressure was well dealt with and Toulouse finished the game off soon after. Kane Bentley scored from close range for the away side. The conversion was added to give Toulouse an eight point lead.

Batley looked to grab more points at the death but the defence by the French side remained resilient.

FULL TIME: Batley Bulldogs 20-28 Toulouse Olympique